Each of us is responsible for understanding the content of the Code. If we believe that our ethical standards may be compromised, we have a duty to raise the concern.
Some situations are not easy to manage. Making ethical decisions sometimes appears difficult, as it goes beyond simply being compliant with a set of rules.
The Code of Ethics is the reference tool that helps all of us to act with integrity by questioning ourselves about the business situations we encounter. In addition to the Code, Sanofi has also implemented a set of policies and procedures that we have to comply with. We must ask questions when necessary to do the right thing in the right way at the right time and for the right reason.
There may be instances when the guidance in this Code varies with the local law or customs of a particular country. In cases where local law or customs impose higher standards than those set in the Code, local law and customs should always apply. If, by contrast, the Code provides for a higher standard, it should prevail.
- Am I violating any law, Sanofi Code of Ethics, policies & procedures?
- Am I being inconsistent with ethical values?
- Am I treating others the same way I would expect to be treated?
- Will I owe something in return to anybody?
- Could my decision appear improper if published on the front page of a newspaper?